- Christian Doctrine pt. 37 The Doctrine of Sanctification (6/20/19)
- Christian Doctrine pt. 36 The Doctrine of the Christian Life: A Christian’s Work (6/6/19)
- Christian Doctrine pt. 35 The Doctrine of the Christian Life: A Christian’s Witness (5/30/19)
- The Doctrine of Man: The consequences of his sin (4/18/19)
- Christian Doctrine – Part 26 The Doctrine of Sin: Its Origin (3/28/19)
- Christian Doctrine – pt. 25 The Doctrine of Man: His Fall (3/14/19)
- Christian Doctrine pt 24, The Doctrine of Man: His Origin (3/7/19)
Christian Doctrine pt. 38 - The Doctrine of Sanctification
In this article, we continue to consider the doctrine of sanctification. Having already looked at the meaning of sanctification and the process of sanctification we now take up the means of sanctification and the goal of sanctification.
The means through which sanctification takes place in a Christian’s life is the indwelling Holy Spirit. As the Holy Spirit daily renews the Christian he or she is enabled to progress in sanctification (2 Cor. 4:16). It is important to remember that, like justification, sanctification is not produced by the works of the flesh or the works of the law (Gal 3:3).
1 Corinthians 1:30 teaches that Jesus is our sanctification and Christlikeness is produced by the work of the Spirit in us (Gal 5:22-23). In order for a believer to grow in sanctification, they must “walk in the Spirit” (Gal 5:16).
What is the goal of sanctification? It is a perfect Christian character, It is to be like Jesus. God desires for us to be sanctified in body, soul, and spirit (1 Thes 5:23). The Bible’s teaching and personal experience demonstrate that in this life this goal of sanctification is not attainable. (Cf. Phil 3:13-21; Col 3:4; 1 Jn 3:2). Yet Christian’s are encouraged to hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matt. 5:6), to seek to be conformed to the image of Christ (Rom 12:2), and to press toward the mark of perfectness in Christ (Phil 3:14). I pray that the Lord will richly bless you this week. God loves you and so does First Baptist Church.